Immaculate Conception Church
Interior and Exterior Renovation – Project Description
The 50th Anniversary of Immaculate Conception Church will be celebrated and enhanced by the commencement of interior and exterior renovation projects that will include the following:
- Interior Renovations – The interior renovations incorporate much needed work scope items:
- Replacement or renovation of aged church pews and kneelers. There will be new pews will increase seating capacity and provide handicapped accessible seating areas.
- The existing vinyl tile under the pews contains asbestos and will be completely removed& abated once the pews are removed. The existing carpeting will also be replaced throughout the Nave and Sacristy.
- The existing sound system will be replaced with a new “state of the art” audio/visual system. The new system will provide more uniform & directional sound and will provide hearing enhancements for the hearing impaired. Retractable video screens are being introduced to enhance special events and celebrations.
- The light fixtures in the Nave and Sacristy will be replaced with more energy efficient fixtures that will provide more uniformly distributed and brighter lighting.
- Interior Renovations – the interior renovations will also incorporate the following liturgical enhancements and improvements:
- There is acoustical cloth behind the vertical wood slats at the curved altar (Tabernacle Wall). The vertical wood slats and acoustic cloth conceal the organ piping located behind the wall. The acoustical cloth is badly deteriorating and requires removal. In order to remove the acoustic cloth, all of the wood slats will be dismantled. The opportunity has presented itself to create a lighter and brighter altar appearance with new wood slats and recessing the Tabernacle in an aesthetically enhanced alcove with decorative wood trim, wood Tabernacle table, marble surround, and lighting accounts. The wood slats will also conceal the video projection screens and tie-in the new Music Dias to the altar. The new Altar/Tabernacle wall will brighten the overall appearance of the altar with improved visual aspects, acoustics and lighting.
- The existing baptismal font located to the left side of the altar & behind the masonry (brick) wall, will be relocated into the Nave in order for the entire congregation to fully participate the baptism ceremony.
- The masonry wall encapsulating the previous baptismal font will be removed, opening this under-utilized area to the Nave. The Church’s musicians and choir will be relocated to this area, including the organist, piano, and cantor. The new music Dias will be multi-functional for both the choir and folk group. The Music Dias will allow the entire congregation to view the musicians, choir, and cantor and likewise they will face the congregation. The removal of the masonry wall will also allow the skylight, located in the formal baptismal area, to further brighten the altar area.
- One of the confessionals, in the back of the Nave, will be converted into an alcove and small worship area. The alcove will be enhanced with decorative wood trim, (historic) stained glass windows, Votive candles and kneelers facing the statues of the Virgin Mary and Joseph.
- Exterior renovations and addition – a new 1,535 square foot “Gathering Vestibule” will be added to the existing (East side) main entrance. The new “Gathering Vestibule” will blend into the existing interior/exterior church aesthetics and incorporate the following features:
- The new Vestibule will allow for the interior assembly of larger number of congregation members after masses, weddings, funerals, and seasonal ceremonies.
- The new Vestibule will contain handicapped accessible men’s and women’s bathrooms.
- The new Vestibule will be open and tied into the existing Vestibule. The existing Vestibule will be restored. The existing solid wood wall between the Nave and Vestibule will be replaced with decorative glass.